5 Things I Love About Salem UMC!!
I haven’t always been a “church-goer;” in fact, there have been some times in my life when going to church was the last thing I ever wanted to do. But once I started going to Salem UMC, something just clicked! For the longest time, I couldn’t figure out what it was about this church that was so different from others I had visited. Well, I finally sat down recently to reflect on some possible reasons that I’ve stayed with Salem; these are those reasons:
- I have a family here. From the second I first walked into this church, members of the congregation stuck to my heart like glue, and they haven’t come off since. Salem’s members truly care about each and every individual that steps through those baby blue doors.
- The special services move my soul. I still remember my first Christmas Eve service at Salem like it was yesterday. The skits, the cute small humans, and the candle-lit sanctuary brought a tear to my eye as we sung Silent Night to welcome in the Lord’s birth.
- Music is taken seriously at Salem. Our choir practices every week, sometimes preparing their anthem songs weeks or months in advance. We have a resident quartet ensemble (of which I am a part) that practices and sings during some services at the church. And the time for music during services is always respected by all.
- The church has an amazing history. Seriously, the story of this church is so rich that even I can’t remember all of the details by heart! If you’d like to know more about our church’s history (and I really think you would), please click here!
- I feel inspired, loved, and cared-for in this church. In short – I feel the Holy Spirit every time I’m here. Every time I step over the threshold, I truly feel God’s presence in this place. He wraps me in warmth and lets me know that for the next couple of hours, I am safe in my home-on-Earth.
Do you have specific reasons why you love Salem UMC? We’d love to hear them! Share the love in the comments below!